Saran wraps or calls it an oxygen barrier that prevents food spoilage and assists in retaining the flavour and aroma. However, saran wrap was discontinued in the year 2012, but WHY? The rising environmental concerns and considered equally harmful as plastic, saran wrap suffered enormous business loss and had to shut down.
Most people amongst us use microwaves to heat food products. At the same time, people are confused as to whether to use a microwave lid, kitchen towel, a plate, or a layer of saran food wrap? Undoubtedly, keeping the food covered inside the microwave will allow heat to circulate, ensuring that food is heated perfectly and is ready to eat.
On the contrary, can you microwave saran wrap along with eliminating its harmful effects on food and health? To find out the reasons behind this logical argument and some preventive tips to keep yourself healthy, read the article till the end.
Can You Microwave Saran Wrap?
In the majority of cases, yes, you can saran wrap in your microwave. Nevertheless, to be completely sure if the food inside the microwave is cling wrap is safe, it becomes highly important for you to double-check the packaging, including the microwave label. Always keep in mind that the saran wrap must not come in touch directly with the food particles. Unfortunately, there is no such proof or evidence, regarding Saran wrap claiming the pros and cons of wrapping inside the microwave.
Misconceptions Regarding Saran Wrap?
Sawarn Wrap contains toxic chemicals and it is believed that microwaving edibles covered with plastic Wrap will release these diabolical substances into the food. Consuming such chemical quantities in day-to-day life is hazardous to the body, additionally, giving rise to numerous deadly diseases like cancer, which is a totally understandable and genuine fear.
To cross-examine the situation, government agencies like the Food and Drug Administration tested saran wrap and it was found that they are flawlessly safe to be in your microwave. If it is mentioned that wrap is microwave-safe, you can definitely use it in your microwave.
Are There Any Time Limitations On Saran Wrapping Microwaves?
Usually, 2 minutes are more than enough to heat the food items covered in saran wrap in your microwave, at extreme temperature levels. However, if your usage of the microwave is at low heat levels, it can certainly take up to 20 minutes. After that time you must remove saran wrap from your microwave, to experience quality food and maintain the condition of the microwave.
Avoid the usage of saran wrap, when your microwave temperature exceeds 150 degrees F.
Precautions That You Need To Take While Saran Wrapping Your Microwave?
Although it’s almost safe to use a microwave covered with cling or saran wrap, there are certain precautions you must follow while microwaving it.
- First of all, avoid the plastic surface to come in direct contact with the food particles. You are recommended to leave a small amount of gap between food products and cling wrap. Unshackle the food, keep it in a microwave container such as a round bowl and now, use a wrap to cover its top surface.
- Foods that include high amounts of sugar and are wrapped should never get in touch directly as they get heated immediately and in worst scenarios, the microwave can also blast.
- Additionally, the pressure and excessive heat inside the microwave will result in overheating and eating this food can be dangerous so, you must avoid it.
- An air vent can be very helpful because saran wrap is a plastic that does not allow hot air to escape. The temperature inside the film rises, which results in the melting of the saran wrap. Hence, it becomes crucial to punch holes into the saran wrap sheet through a sharp-pointed knife, to attain food in the perfect condition.
- Oily foods should not be covered with cling wrap as oil gets intensely hot when placed in a microwave. Therefore, it can easily deplete the saran sheet, so you must keep this in mind.
- Do not microwave food products again and again and always limit the time.
- Moreover, I will certainly advise you not to heat the food for more than 5 minutes and keep the heating temperatures low.
Usage of a bowl can also be a worthy addition instead of using a plate to make sure that food and wrap do not connect with each other and it will allow the food to get heated evenly.
Alternatives Of Saran Wrap
Saran wrap is not at all environmentally friendly, so it becomes mandatory for us to switch to other alternatives, in order to protect our earth and consume quality food.
Although silicon covers are not relatively cheaper than saran wraps, they are handy and durable items. Your food gets sealed properly and tightly, and the scope of food getting damaged gets vanished properly in these silicon plastic-free covers.
Glass Food Containers
These containers can be very convenient for you to heat your food in the microwave because they come with borosilicate glass which is known for its durability and robustness. They are totally leakproof and can easily fit in microwaves.
They are sustainable and the best alternatives to saran wrap. Every jar comes with a solid lid, to prevent your food products from getting rancidity effects and leakage problems. They are Manufactured with eco-friendly raw materials that ultimately ensure good food.
Saran wrap prevents food spoilage and maintains its flavour and taste. It is also called cling wrap and can saran wrap in the microwave. However, there are many misconceptions regarding saran wrap and if you wish to use it, there are numerous precautions that you need to keep in mind, in order to consume high-quality food.
The main precaution that you need to keep in mind is that, don’t let your food product come in contact with the saran wrap sheet as it can spoil your food and make it toxic. Alternatives to saran wraps can also be a great option to enhance the quality of the food.